Sunday, August 9, 2015

Interview With a Parker Part I: Madison


It is truly hard to believe we have been here six months. On the one hand, it seems like so long ago that we said our goodbyes and boarded the plane. On the other, it seems like we should have figured out more than we have in six months. Since we came to Tenwek from language school, things have been quite busy, and it is hard to find the time to write. And to be honest, when we do have time, it's hard to know exactly what to write about in a blog. So, at our six-month anniversary here, we thought it might be fun to post a series of interviews, one with each of us, where we answer some questions about our life here at Tenwek. First off, Madison....

Safari sunset - by Madison
What has been your favorite thing about moving to Kenya?

I think my favorite thing about moving to Kenya is being able to connect with the kids and make friends. The kids here (both American and Kenyan) are all really cool.  

What is the coolest thing you have seen?

It was pretty cool when we went on our first safari seeing all the wild animals. My favorites were lions, elephants, and giraffes. I had seen those animals before but it was cool to see them roaming around in the wild.
Lion - by Madison

Elephant - by Madison




Zebra - by Madison

Madison with giraffe
Madison with lions












What is your favorite part of living at Tenwek?

It’s probably the fact that you can just go outside and play. It’s safe and I can just climb a tree whenever I want.
Madison reading in a tree

























What new foods do you eat?

We eat a lot of Kenyan food, like ugali (imagine stiff mashed potatoes), sukuma wiki (boiled spinach/kale with tomatoes and onions), and chapatis (like tortillas).
Chapati, cabbage and samosa

Do you miss any foods?

I miss things like burgers and fries, which I don’t get very often.

What do you do during the day?
It is summer vacation for me, so I play outside and with my friends most of the day. Since being here, I have learned to ripstik, which is like skateboarding but with only two wheels. I have also learned to crochet. I do a lot of reading and crafts, as well.

video
What do you miss most about the United States?

I miss family a lot. I think that is my biggest thing. That and not being stared at everywhere I go.

What do you want people to know about Kenya?

Some people think Kenya is a barren land where people know nothing and have no modern things. While some places are very rural, without running water or electricity, where we are there are certainly cars and phones and internet. Kenya is a mix of the old and the new.



1 comment:

  1. It was so enjoyable to be part of the Skype on Sunday between Mission Church and all of you. You look great! Madison, your pix here of sitting in the tree looks so fun! And, I am a bit jealous. :) What a chance to be amazed at all of God's creation. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete